Criminal Investigations & Prosecutions
Dawn raids and searches
"Corker Binning is a truly exceptional firm."
THE LEGAL 500 2021
An unannounced visit from an investigator will be an extremely unwelcome distraction to your business or personal life.
A wide range of law enforcement bodies may search premises and seize documents or electronic records under the authority of a warrant granted by a court or compel inspection using other statutory powers. Whether it is the police, FCA, SFO, ICO, HSE or HMRC, our lawyers have unparalleled experience responding to compulsory inspections or search and seizure warrants.
In any situation where you are faced with investigators seeking to search or obtain documents, information or answers to questions, you should immediately seek legal advice. All of our lawyers are experienced in supervising searches and advising how to effectively deal with their aftermath. Our experience in this area includes:
- Preparing guidance for use in case of a search (so called ‘dawn raid guidance’)
- Attending and supervising a search
- Challenging the legal basis of a search
- Advising on press/client/staff relations in the aftermath of a search
- Dealing with the subsequent investigation
If you are visited by an investigative agency ring 0207 353 6000 (24 hours a day). Most agencies are not required to wait until lawyers arrive. Bear in mind the following guidance:
- Do not disclose confidential documents or information unless required to by law;
- Keep a record of what has been done including a note of timings;
- Do not obstruct the investigators;
- Do not allow them to exclude you from your premises unless there is good reason that to do so would interfere with their search.