BIOGRAPHY & EXPERTISE
Joseph joined Corker Binning in November 2019, following his qualification as a solicitor in April 2019. Joseph is an accomplished police station advisor and represents clients in a wide variety of criminal, white-collar and regulatory matters.
Areas of expertise
Joseph advises clients across the spectrum of criminal proceedings, from the police investigation through to trial, in both Magistrates’ and Crown Court matters. He has experience in a range of criminal offences, including drug offences, serious assaults, sexual offences and white-collar crime.
During his first six months following qualification, Joseph gained experience as a Magistrates’ Court advocate, which provided him with valuable first-hand insight into tactical approaches to case preparation. He continues to represent clients in in interviews under caution following arrest and in voluntary attendance interviews.
Joseph acts in a broad range of high profile and complex regulatory and white-collar cases. He has experience acting for both suspects and witnesses in investigations brought by specialist prosecutors and regulatory bodies, including the Serious Fraud Office, the Financial Conduct Authority and HMRC.
Joseph has also participated in Law Commission panel committees, most recently advising on the Law Commission’s proposal to create new sexual communications offences.
- Secured an acquittal in the Magistrates’ Court for a client accused of domestic assault
- Advised a client at the Old Bailey indicted with conspiracy to produce cannabis valued at £26million. At the time, this was the largest cannabis conspiracy investigated in the UK.
- Represented a police officer charged with perverting the course of justice and later with breach of an SRO. The breach matter was discontinued by the CPS following written representations and the client received a suspended sentence in the perverting the course of justice matter.
- Acted for an individual, following allegations of sexual assault against four child complainants in a media sensitive case due to involvement of high-profile witnesses and the nature of the client’s employment.
- Represented a PEP charged with cross-border terrorism offences.
- Advised numerous witnesses compelled to attend interviews with the FCA and the SFO in a cross-border bribery and corruption matter involving multinational companies.
- Represented a company director for a sporting brand in a sensitive civil/criminal tax dispute with HMRC.
- Advised a bank employee in an internal investigation into failure to submit SARs and represented the individual in an internal interview.
- Acted for a company under FCA supervision accused of financial and cultural misconduct.
- Represented barristers’ chambers interviewed by foreign prosecutors under MLA procedures to provide evidence in an overseas trial.
- Acted in tandem with US counsel to advise a client based in the UK required to provide evidence in high-profile US criminal proceedings.
- Advised a company accused of regulatory offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
- Represented an individual compelled to provide evidence in US civil proceedings via recorded deposition, who was also the suspect of criminal prosecution in Morocco on the same facts.
- Represented an ex General Counsel of a multinational company interviewed under caution by the SFO for historic bribery offences.
Joseph began his career at Hodge Jones & Allen, where he worked as a paralegal for three years before completing his period of recognised training. During this time, he gained experience in criminal defence litigation and civil dispute resolution. He qualified as a solicitor in April 2019 and joined Corker Binning as an Associate in November 2019.
Joseph read Spanish and Philosophy at Royal Holloway University before going on to complete the Graduate Diploma in Law at De Montfort University. He then undertook the LPC at the University of Law, passing with distinction and completing a Masters LLM alongside.
Joseph is a member of the Young Fraud Lawyers Association and JUSTICE.