- Companies House prosecutions – Directors
- Competition & markets authority – Directors
- Corporate manslaughter / health and safety
- Environmental crime
- Export controls & trade controls
- FCA investigations
- Financial Reporting Council (FRC) investigations
- Financial sanctions
- Food safety / environmental health
- Professional disciplinary
- School and university hearings
Criminal Investigations & Prosecutions
"Everything that they deal with is done to the highest possible standard, with immaculate preparation and no stone left unturned. They are very good at helping clients navigate their way through difficult circumstances."
Chambers UK 2022
Corker Binning’s specialist lawyers advise clients facing investigation and prosecution for all offences before the criminal courts in England & Wales. From common assault, theft and drugs offences to sexual offences, GBH, murder and terrorism.
Criminal Investigations and Prosecution lawyers
We offer strategic advice during the investigation phase, representing individuals at the police station and beyond, by guiding them through the complexities of the criminal justice process. Clients often contact our lawyers before an investigation has commenced for strategic assistance and guidance, to place them in the best possible position to defend proceedings as and when they arise.
We are uniquely placed to provide specialist advice on criminal matters affecting individuals from a diverse range of professional and commercial backgrounds. Our clients have included prominent individuals from the worlds of business, politics, sport, journalism, entertainment, and professional services, as well as foreign nationals embroiled in politically sensitive cases.
We understand that the simple fact of a police investigation can have devastating consequences, and we work hard to protect our clients’ personal and professional interests. We are experienced in dealing with all issues associated with criminal investigations, such as professional regulatory obligations, criminal records and media exposure as well as dealing with parallel disciplinary proceedings arising from the same or similar allegations. Our criminal defence lawyers frequently work alongside other legal teams in cases involving family proceedings, employment litigation and reputation management.
Our lawyers also have significant experience of advising young or vulnerable people facing criminal investigation and prosecution. We understand how difficult the process can be for them and their families, and we ensure that these cases are handled in a sensitive way which minimises the long-term impact on that person’s life.
Our criminal defence team is available 24 hours a day and is ready to assist from the first moment an investigation is anticipated. All of our cases, regardless of the nature of the suspected offence, are given the same level of dedication, attention to detail and care. Above all, we are committed to providing a personalised service to each of our clients and to achieving the best possible outcome.
Criminal Investigations & Prosecutions Services
Criminal Investigations & Prosecutions cases:
- A business owner (and their company) prosecuted for Corporate Manslaughter and Health and Safety offences.
- A pilot under investigation by the UK police in connection with an air crash.
- Individuals accused of marital rape, child abuse and controlling and coercive behaviour in the context of contentious divorce litigation.
- Entertainment figures under investigation for drugs offences.
- A newspaper concerning the tipping off provisions in the UK’s terrorism legislation.
- A politician in connection with falsified parliamentary expenses claims.
- A Chinese national charged with the theft of his company’s intellectual property and offences under the Computer Misuse Act.
- An overseas political party under investigation for money laundering in connection with alleged terrorist activities.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute on a variety of dangerous dogs investigations and ensuring that the dog was not destroyed.
- The widely reported trial of a high-profile Russian dissident, accused of possession of indecent images, and successfully arguing that proceedings should be stayed.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute a businessman accused of attempting to inflict GBH through the transmission of HIV.
- Assisting individuals alleged to be running cannabis seed businesses.
Our youth crime lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- A 16-year-old under investigation for an alleged rape occurring at school. No further action was taken.
- A student arrested for drug possession, assaulting an emergency worker and criminal damage. We persuaded the CPS not to prosecute for any offences after obtaining video evidence about his heavy-handed arrest.
- A 15-year-old accused of revenge pornography and malicious communications offences.
- A 17-year-old who was acquitted at trial of conspiracy to rob and perverting the course of justice.
- A sixth form student under investigation following historic allegations of sexual assault made on social media.
- Making successful representations to the CPS, post-charge, not to pursue prosecution against a 15-year-old who engaged in consensual sexual activity with his 14-year-old girlfriend.
Sexual offences cases:
- Acting for several individuals investigated as a result of the “#MeToo” and “Everyone’s Invited”
- Acting for several high-profile individuals in the entertainment industry arrested under and following Operation Yewtree. In these cases, our clients have avoided publicity and none have been charged.
- An individual with autism accused of rape and assault during a consensual BDSM relationship.
- Advising the director of a large UK corporate in relation to an investigation into alleged rape and sexual assault (no charges brought).
- Advising a Government Minister in relation to allegations of historic sexual abuse made in the tabloid newspapers.
- Preparing a defence at trial for an individual charged with multiple counts of familial sexual assault and possession of indecent images of children. The client was acquitted on all counts.
- Securing non-custodial sentences for those convicted of offences of possessing/distributing indecent images, including one individual targeted by a vigilante group operation.
- Persuading the CPS of the lack of public interest in prosecuting an elderly man for alleged historic sexual abuse dating back over 40 years.
- Advising a corporation on how to address its discovery that its employees had been accessing indecent images on their work computers.