Criminal Investigations & Prosecutions
"Fantastic profile. Team is well-known as one of very top names for white-collar criminal defence and a real go-to firm."
THE LEGAL 500 2022
Beyond business crime and fraud, Corker Binning advises clients on a full range of police investigations and prosecutions that come before the criminal courts in England & Wales.
Our team specialises in defence work in every type of criminal case – from common assault, theft, drugs offences to rape and serious sexual offences, GBH, murder, and terrorism.
We are uniquely placed to provide specialist advice on criminal matters affecting individuals from a diverse range of professional and commercial backgrounds. Our clients include prominent individuals from the worlds of business, politics, sport, journalism, entertainment, and professional services. Because the firm acts for a wide range of clients in high profile commercial fraud investigations and prosecutions, we are the automatic port of call if they, or their families, need discreet advice on any other type of criminal matter.
In addition to dealing with criminal allegations and investigations, we are also experienced in addressing urgent issues relating to professional regulatory obligations and unwelcome media interest. We routinely work in conjunction with other legal teams in cases involving divorce and separation, child custody issues, employment litigation and reputation management.
Our criminal lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- A business owner (and their company) prosecuted for Corporate Manslaughter and Health and Safety offences.
- A pilot under investigation by the UK police in connection with an air crash.
- Individuals accused of marital rape, child abuse and controlling and coercive behaviour in the context of contentious divorce litigation.
- Entertainment figures under investigation for drugs offences.
- A newspaper concerning the tipping off provisions in the UK’s terrorism legislation.
- A politician in connection with falsified parliamentary expenses claims.
- A Chinese national charged with the theft of his company’s intellectual property and offences under the Computer Misuse Act.
- An overseas political party under investigation for money laundering in connection with alleged terrorist activities.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute on a variety of dangerous dogs investigations and ensuring that the dog was not destroyed.
- The widely reported trial of a high-profile Russian dissident, accused of possession of indecent images, and successfully arguing that proceedings should be stayed.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute a businessman accused of attempting to inflict GBH through the transmission of HIV.
- Assisting individuals alleged to be running cannabis seed businesses.
Our youth crime lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- A 16-year-old under investigation for an alleged rape occurring at school. No further action was taken.
- A student arrested for drug possession, assaulting an emergency worker and criminal damage. We persuaded the CPS not to prosecute for any offences after obtaining video evidence about his heavy-handed arrest.
- A 15-year-old accused of revenge pornography and malicious communications offences.
- A 17-year-old who was acquitted at trial of conspiracy to rob and perverting the course of justice.
- A sixth form student under investigation following historic allegations of sexual assault made on social media.
- Making successful representations to the CPS, post-charge, not to pursue prosecution against a 15-year-old who engaged in consensual sexual activity with his 14-year-old girlfriend.
Sexual offences cases:
- Acting for several individuals investigated as a result of the “#MeToo” and “Everyone’s Invited”
- Acting for several high-profile individuals in the entertainment industry arrested under and following Operation Yewtree. In these cases, our clients have avoided publicity and none have been charged.
- An individual with autism accused of rape and assault during a consensual BDSM relationship.
- Advising the director of a large UK corporate in relation to an investigation into alleged rape and sexual assault (no charges brought).
- Advising a Government Minister in relation to allegations of historic sexual abuse made in the tabloid newspapers.
- Preparing a defence at trial for an individual charged with multiple counts of familial sexual assault and possession of indecent images of children. The client was acquitted on all counts.
- Securing non-custodial sentences for those convicted of offences of possessing/distributing indecent images, including one individual targeted by a vigilante group operation.
- Persuading the CPS of the lack of public interest in prosecuting an elderly man for alleged historic sexual abuse dating back over 40 years.
- Advising a corporation on how to address its discovery that its employees had been accessing indecent images on their work computers.