- Companies House prosecutions – Directors
- Competition & markets authority – Directors
- Corporate manslaughter / health and safety
- Economic Sanctions
- Environmental crime
- Export and trade controls
- FCA investigations
- Financial Reporting Council (FRC) investigations
- Food safety / environmental health
- Professional disciplinary
- School and university hearings
"Corker Binning is a truly exceptional firm."
THE LEGAL 500 2021
Corker Binning’s HMRC investigation lawyers have an impressive track record for our work in HMRC investigations into tax fraud and money laundering.
HMRC investigation lawyers
We have advised and defended in some of the largest, most complex and novel investigations and prosecutions into tax fraud. In every case, we consider whether a criminal case can be diverted away from prosecution to a civil settlement. We work closely with forensic accountants who are expert in reconstructing historic tax liabilities.
We also have expertise of acting for professional clients and businesses caught up in investigations by HMRC or the Revenue and Customs division of the CPS. For example, our lawyers have advised both individuals and institutions in the financial services sector who have been compelled by statutory powers to provide information to HMRC.
We also advise businesses and business people about investigations by HMRC into breaches of the money laundering regulations and money laundering.
Our lawyers are members of the Tax Investigators Practitioners Group.
HMRC investigations Services
HMRC investigations cases:
- Conducting an internal investigation into a group company in which several of the executives had been accused of tax fraud. The outcome of our investigation caused the criminal investigation to be dropped.
- Advising a suspect in a film tax credit scheme investigations in which we persuaded HMRC not to bring any criminal charges in return for a financial settlement.
- An employer in a multi-million-pound case concerning the alleged underpayment of the taxes of building workers on a major construction project.
- Representing a client in the first negotiated plea agreement with the CPS under the Attorney General’s Guidelines for Plea Discussions in Serious Fraud cases involving over £1.5 million of VAT reclaims.