Criminal Investigations & Prosecutions
Police investigations & general defence
"Corker Binning is a truly exceptional firm."
THE LEGAL 500 2021
Corker Binning is recognised as a leading firm in the field of police investigations and criminal defence, with a strong reputation for handling a wide range of personal, complex and sensitive cases.
Our lawyers provide expert advice to clients (whether as suspects, witnesses or victims) on criminal investigations into possession and supply of controlled drugs, assaults, causing grievous bodily harm, theft, burglary, robbery, sexual offences, road traffic, dangerous dogs offences, manslaughter and murder.
Police investigations and criminal defence makes up a large part of our work, with clients including well-known figures from business, politics, the sport and entertainment industries, media companies, journalists, as well as private individuals who find themselves caught up in the turmoil of a criminal investigation. Our experience representing high-profile figures means that our team possesses a wealth of knowledge about the reputation management issues potentially arising. We also have particular expertise in acting for individuals who may be vulnerable and need protection from the criminal process, whether on account of their age or a particular physical or mental condition.
Our lawyers are available 24 hours a day to provide police station representation. We are proactive from an early stage in any criminal investigation, regularly acting for individuals who, having been interviewed under caution, want advice about persuading the authorities not to charge them with a criminal offence. If our clients are charged, we are experienced in acting for them throughout every stage of the criminal proceedings, in both the Magistrates and Crown Courts, as well as any restraint or confiscation proceedings.
The size of the firm and the expertise of our lawyers mean that we are well equipped to handle general criminal cases of all kinds, while delivering a highly personalised service to clients, expertly guiding them through every stage of the investigative and prosecutorial process. We aim to prepare each case – regardless of its level of seriousness – to the highest possible standards, leaving no stone unturned in the preparation of our clients’ defence.
Our criminal lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- A pilot under investigation by the UK police in connection with an air crash.
- A businessman under investigation for murder (this story has been reported widely in the press in 2015).
- A partner of a City law firm accused of assaulting his partner (we represented him at the police station, made written representations afterwards and no charges were brought).
- A newspaper concerning the tipping off provisions in the UK’s terrorism legislation.
- An entrepreneur indicted for attempted rape and other serious sexual offences.
- A Chinese national charged with the theft of his company’s intellectual property and offences under the Computer Misuse Act.
- A student charged with possession of Class B drugs and an offensive weapon (he ultimately received a suspended sentence).
- An overseas political party under investigation for money laundering in connection with alleged terrorist activities.
- A British journalist who was on board a Greenpeace ship to secure bail after being detained in Russia following an attempt to occupy an oil platform during a protest in the Arctic.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute on a variety of dangerous dogs investigations and ensuring that the dog was not destroyed.
- A high-profile politician in connection with an allegation that he had assaulted his wife (no charges brought).
- The widely reported trial of a high profile Russian dissident, accused of possession of indecent images, and successfully arguing that proceedings should be stayed.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute a businessman accused of attempting to inflict GBH through the transmission of HIV.
- Assisting individuals alleged to be running cannabis seed businesses.
For more information on how we can help you, please call us on 020 7353 6000.
You can also read our general crime lawyers’ comments and analysis on recent cases and developments in the Corker Binning Blog.
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Crime by Chambers and Partners UK 2020.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a top tier firm for Crime by The Legal 500 2020.