Criminal Investigations & Prosecutions
Police interviews and investigations
"For clients experiencing investigations or proceedings, they offer clear and cogent advice taking in the complexity of the issues faced."
THE LEGAL 500 2022
Corker Binning is recognised as a leading firm in the field of police investigations and criminal defence, with a strong reputation for handling a wide range of personal, sensitive and complex cases.
Police investigations and criminal defence makes up a large part of our work. Our lawyers provide expert advice to clients (whether as suspects, witnesses or victims) on criminal investigations into the full range of offences, from minor road traffic infringements to murder and terrorism and everything in between. Our specialist team is available 24 hours a day to respond to arrests, raids and police interviews under caution.
Our clients include well-known figures from business, politics, the sport and entertainment industries, media companies, journalists, as well as private individuals who find themselves caught up in the turmoil of a criminal investigation. Our experience representing high-profile figures means that our team possesses a wealth of knowledge about the potential reputation management issues that could arise in an investigation. We also have particular expertise in acting for individuals who may be vulnerable and need protection from the criminal process, whether on account of their age or a particular physical or mental condition.
Police station representation and Interviews under caution
If you have been invited to an interview under caution, you are suspected of a criminal offence and should seek legal advice. In a cautioned interview, anything the interviewee says can be used as evidence against them (and potentially others) in a criminal trial. Conversely, if the interviewee refuses to answer questions, their silence can, in certain circumstances, be used against them. It is therefore vitally important that the right strategy is adopted before, during and after the caution interview. How the interviewee responds to questions in the caution interview will have a profound impact on the future course of an investigation, including the likelihood of the interviewee being prosecuted.
We are proactive from an early stage in any criminal investigation, regularly acting for individuals who, having been interviewed under caution, want advice about persuading the authorities not to charge them with a criminal offence. If our clients are charged, we are experienced in acting for them throughout every stage of the criminal proceedings, in both the Magistrates and Crown Courts, as well as any restraint or confiscation proceedings arising.
The expertise of our lawyers means that we are well-equipped to handle general criminal cases of all kinds, while delivering a highly-personalised service to clients, expertly guiding them through every stage of the investigative and prosecutorial process. We aim to prepare each case to the highest possible standards, leaving no stone unturned in the preparation of our clients’ defence.
Our criminal lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- A pilot under investigation by the UK police in connection with an air crash.
- A businessman under investigation for murder (this story has been reported widely in the press in 2015).
- A partner of a City law firm accused of assaulting his partner (we represented him at the police station, made written representations afterwards and no charges were brought).
- A newspaper concerning the tipping off provisions in the UK’s terrorism legislation.
- An entrepreneur indicted for attempted rape and other serious sexual offences.
- A Chinese national charged with the theft of his company’s intellectual property and offences under the Computer Misuse Act.
- A student charged with possession of Class B drugs and an offensive weapon (he ultimately received a suspended sentence).
- An overseas political party under investigation for money laundering in connection with alleged terrorist activities.
- A British journalist who was on board a Greenpeace ship to secure bail after being detained in Russia following an attempt to occupy an oil platform during a protest in the Arctic.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute on a variety of dangerous dogs investigations and ensuring that the dog was not destroyed.
- A high-profile politician in connection with an allegation that he had assaulted his wife (no charges brought).
- The widely reported trial of a high profile Russian dissident, accused of possession of indecent images, and successfully arguing that proceedings should be stayed.
- Persuading the police not to prosecute a businessman accused of attempting to inflict GBH through the transmission of HIV.
- Assisting individuals alleged to be running cannabis seed businesses.